- Let someone know where you are going.
- Plan ahead and know how you are going to get home at the end of a night out.
- Take a mobile phone with you.
- Ensure you have the numbers of some local taxi firms.
- Always leave a restaurant/club/pub with a friend or group of friends. Do not walk home alone or let others do so.
- Carry a personal alarm with you.
- Avoid dark and narrow alleyways and quieter areas, if possible.
- Take diversions into more populated areas if there is a suitable route, even if this takes a little while longer.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times – do not use headphones whilst walking.
- Call the police on 999 or raise the alarm locally by screaming/shouting/running.
look at http://www.saferstudents.west-midlands.police.uk for further safety advice.