TACKLING ROBBERY OFFENCES ACROSS SELLY OAK
Be Aware & Reassured
A West Midlands Police initiative is underway to find the offenders responsible for 20 robberies that have taken place across the Bournbrook area of Selly Oak over the last two weeks. We have increased patrols around this area and will be actively targeting thieves using a number of police tactics.
Residents in Selly Oak are encouraged to remain vigilant and follow some basic safety advice, particularly when returning from a night out. These offences have seen offenders approach victims in the street and as they arrive home.
These incidents have a huge impact on the victim, so we want to make residents aware of ways to protect themselves. The offences have occurred predominantly between 9pm to 5am, so we’re asking residents to consider the time they’re returning home, as these robberies are happening in the early hours of the day.
· Electronic items such as mobile phones and mp3 players are regular targets for street robbers. Try to keep valuable items out of sight whenever possible. Please do not walk with headphones on.
· Try and stick to well-lit busy areas when walking alone and always remain aware of your surroundings. If you don’t feel safe, stride purposely to deter robbers and quickly move away from the area.
· Make a note of the IMEI number of your phone. You can find this printed under the battery of most modern devices or by dialling *#06#.
· Register your electronic items for free online at http://www.immobilise.com. This can help officers return stolen property to its rightful owner. Likewise record details of the serial numbers, make, model of mp3 players, etc.
· If you are out with friends, always walk home in groups. The last person should call a taxi to ensure they also get home safety.
· Carry any bags securely. Put the strap across your body and make sure any fasteners or zips are closed and facing in towards your body.
Birmingham is one of the safest cities in the UK. By following this advice, you can further decrease the chances of becoming a victim of robbery.
If you have any concerns or information contact Sergeant Simon Williams, from the Selly Oak Neighbourhood Police Team on 101 for non-emergencies. As always, please dial 999 in an emergency.
If you see any suspicious groups or individuals in Selly Oak PLEASE CALL THE POLICE on 101 who will follow up your call – we rely on the community to provide us with information – YOUR CALL COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity, Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.